Friday 10 October 2014

5 Reasons Why I Loved My C-Section Birth

Preface: I'm not into mom shaming. However your baby came out, whether it was in your birth plan or not, it is all amazing. Women's bodies are amazing. Modern medicine is amazing. 

I'm tired of hearing only negative comments/posts/blog about c- sections. I get it. It is not often people's plan to have a c-section and they are scared and disappointed. And each mom is entitled to feel however they feel. This post is not meant to judge them or mothers who have vaginal births. This post is simply about the positive side of c-sections. 

5 Reasons I Loved My C-Section Birth

Around 35 weeks I was informed my baby was breached. He didn't turn. I opted for a scheduled c-section. The dula in my prenatal class did nothing to ease my fears and the Internet wasn't much better. Everything went smoothly. Later I chatted with the other moms in my prenatal class about there experience and I realized there are a lot of positives to a c-section. These are my top 5!

1. NIGHT BEFORE DELIVERY- the night before my baby was born I went out for a lovely dinner with my hubby and my parents.  We ate, we laughed, we talked (they drank) and we took our time enjoying the evening. I came home, had a long shower, had some sexy time with my Hubby (as awkward as it is when you are 39 weeks) and then I had a peaceful 8 hour sleep in my own bed. I wasn't awake for 64 hours, suffering through contractions, pacing, timing, and focusing on breathing. 

2. LABOUR PAIN- none for me! Not one contraction, nothing! No embarrassing water breaking in public either. I have heard stories of 64 hours of labour, "only" 4 hours of active labour, pushing for two hours... And all I can think is, phew, glad I skipped that part! 

3. BEAUTIFUL BABY HEAD- all babies are beautiful and I'm sure the one that came out of your body is the most beautiful baby in your eyes but honestly, c-section babies just look better. No squished skull from being pushed out an opening that was smaller than them. Just a perfect round head. 

4. FIRST NIGHT-the first night as a new parent is overwhelming and exciting and exhausting. I remember looking over at my hubby at 4am for what felt like the 10th feeding that night and saying to him "imagine having to do this after being up for a day or two of labour?" I was sure glad we were well rested before having to begin that part of the journey. 

5. THE BLOWN OUT VAGINA-the vagina gets really beat up during labour. Stretched, torn (cringe), and stitched (big cringe). I have heard women say they were so swollen their vagina looked like elephant lips. I have a cousin who had third degree tearing and she couldn't sit comfortably for 2 weeks. No woman has positive things to say about their vagina after birth (at least none I have talked to). I have heard things like "I only needed a few stitches" but that is not a positive in my mind. MY vagina looks, feels and functions the same as it did before by baby was born. And peeing after a c-section... No problem! In fact, I had to ask the nurse why there was a squirt bottle in my bathroom! 

So those are my top 5. Do you have any to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment